CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 16, 2009

We All Need Hobbies

I have a friend who likes to collect those silly little knickknacks you see in those quaint little bookstores. She has them on shelves in her apartment and always adds new figures to her collection at every special occasion.

I have another friend who likes to knit. The last time I saw her she was making a scarf for yet another friend. She has a collection of random, colorful yarns.

My hobby?
That's right - it's dating. I have a nice collection of little stories from my years of dating all the wrong men. I know they're the wrong men because I'm obviously no longer dating them. *smile*

As I returned home tonight after an interesting meeting I realized that I'm bored. While focusing on my career and trying to find work, I've let my dating options dry up. I have seriously neglected one of my favorite hobbies.

Now before you judge, consider the art of hobbies. Some people like to drink, some people like to collect objects, some people like to hike or follow some other activity. I like to date because it gives you the chance to meet someone new, go out for a night and have some decent conversation. You might not find the man or woman of your dreams, but there is a chance you'll at least find a friend out of the deal. At the least you've spent a few hours of your life chatting with someone new and if that's all it leads to, you get to cross that person off your list in your quest for a life mate.

Dating was once my hobby and then I had the crazy idea that I might want to settle down, so I forgot how fun dating can be. Oh, don't get me wrong, I also know that dating can be a pain in the ass depending on how difficult and awkward that date might become. The greatest part about this hobby... well, you get to choose when the hobby starts and stops. If the date is that bad you can always "phone a friend" and escape. (We've all done it!)

So while I've neglected my hobby, I'm planning on reviving it soon. Dating, after all, is the ultimate hobby.

0 comments: